Tender Love

Tender Love
Sweet Little Betty Vang

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Campylobacter


Campylobacter is a bacteria that causes severe diarrheal illness. This bacteria can be found in bird feces. When butchering poultry, if not handled with care, this bacteria can get onto the meat causing contamination. If not cooked thoroughly consumers can contract campylobacteriosis. Or one can contract campylobacteriosis by coming into contact with bird feces. This bacteria survives in the intestinal tracts of humans and animals, the reason for causing severe diarrhea. Symptoms of diarrhea can last 2-10 days. Typically, treatment is not needed as the body will eventually get rid of the bacteria. Other times if the symptoms are severe medical treatment is needed such as antibiotics and fluid to treat dehydration.

I was diagnosed with campylobacteriosis last week. This is the worst food borne illness I have ever contracted. I was out of work for 3 days (Wednesday-Friday with the weekends off that's a total of 5 days). It's been a week and I still haven't recovered completely. My stomach (abdominal area) still ache with the after effects. When I visited my doctor I lost 4 lbs in 3 days. I was extremely dehydrated and was advised to go to urgent care or ER but I went against my doctor's order. Money is tight right now, urgent care is around $50-75 and the ER is $200 for admittance. I couldn't afford the cost. I knew if I had gone to urgent care they would refer me to the ER. I survived without going to either that's how I am able to write about it today! Currently, I should take in more fluids but I'm not. I just hate visiting the restroom often especially since I'm back at work. My doctor initially thought I contracted H1N1. He prescribed Tamiflu (a flu prevention medication produced to treat H1N1 potential victims within the first 48 hours). Tamiflu cost me $40 for 10 pills! It's a 5 day course prescription. After finding out I had campylobacteriosis my doctor prescribed an antibiotic which I haven't picked up from the pharmacy. Within the last month I spent over $200 on medical treatment. I know my health is importance but I am on the road to recovery, I'll let me body do its job. For more information on campylobacter visit www.fsis.usda.gov.

1 comment:

  1. i hope you feel better. i know when i'm sick, i think about all the x i was well & took it for granted. the state of affairs re: healthcare costs is sickening (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete